Company Mission & Core Offerings
At Yoga Shelter, our mission is uplift the communities where Yoga Shelter studios operate, inspire more great leaders, and promote the wellbeing of individuals. Our teachers are authentic and well-trained yoga professionals who teach a consistent and inspired yoga offering in beautiful community-oriented studio spaces.
At Yoga Shelter studios, our core offering is a heated vinyasa-style practice. We also offer a Hatha-based slow flow-style practice, as well as Yin yoga. Our studios are heated to 80 degrees, 85 degrees, and 90 degrees to provide a safe, therapeutic, and cleansing experience. We never overheat our students - but rather provide them the opportunity to go deeper into their yoga practice with the support of gentle heat and intelligent guidance from the teacher.
We created our Yoga Shelter community beginning in West Bloomfield in 2004. Since then we have added locations in Royal Oak, Birmingham, Grosse Pointe, and Southfield.
It is said we are all works in progress; this is only true if we are doing the work! At Yoga Shelter the work is fun, exciting, innovative and inspiring. Our classes will help you create a healthier you because our teachers are experts, friendly and real. Yoga Shelter has changed the face of yoga from rigid, dogmatic and exclusive to flowing, personal, and inclusive. Everyone deserves Shelter and it’s yours for the taking.
Don’t wait another day, start taking classes now! There are over 267 (including all studios) classes to choose from. Enjoy the infinite benefits Yoga Shelter has to offer. There is nothing more important than you being at your best and there is no better place that can help you make that happen than Yoga Shelter… that is why so many people are shouting “Give me Shelter.” We all look forward to meeting you today and helping you in any way we can.
- Leadership - We believe that each community member has the potential to become a leader.
- Education - We encourage and provide opportunities for continued education for staff and students.
- Community - We Inspire a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests and goals for creating a more peaceful place for all (starting with our own yoga practice on the mat and taking it off the mat).
- Passion & Spirit - We teach from our hearts and are animated and enthusiastic about our signature offerings at YS.
- Integrity - We are honest, respectful and apply high ethical standards in business. We put people first and communicate directly with love and respect.
- Excellence - We strive to provide the highest quality heated yoga practice and continue to evolve, listen and apply constructive feedback (when appropriate) to serve our students.
- Authenticity - We are real people with problems, joy, sorrow, love, hardships and everything inbetween. We aim to be powerful leaders without placing ourselves or anyone else on a pedestal. We love yoga bc/ it helps strip away the shield and uncovers our raw true selves - this is what we aim to share.
- Engagement - We make it our mission to be fully present, awake and observant while working at Yoga Shelter. Engaging fully with our students is our top priority while at work and we aim to leave our own “life stuff” at home so that students feel cared for and truly seen.
years experience working as an accountant for companies such as
McDonalds and U.S. Cellular.
living in Chicago where she joined Core Power's teacher training
program in 2011. She dabbled in teaching yoga but decided number
crunching was still her forte so in 2014 when the opportunity came along to
work in accounting at Yoga Shelter she new she had found her calling.
In 2015 Janelle assumed the role of CFO for Yoga Shelter. She is
dedicated to the financial success of Yoga Shelter and takes every new
day as an opportunity to grow a company that provides a service so
enriching to our mind, body, and soul.
Tzvi holds an MBA from the Heller School for Social Policy and Management and a Master’s from The Hornstein Jewish Professional Leadership Program, both at Brandeis University. Tzvi and his wife, Ariella, met at Brandeis.
Marty Time is an ERYT-200/RYT-500 yoga teacher and certified YogaMedics therapist. He has attended countless workshops and completed teacher trainings with Yoga Shelter, YogaMedics, and UpDog Yoga.
Now fifteen years into his practice, Marty has taught thousands of classes, hundreds of privates, and is in his fourth year of leading teacher trainings. Bringing a deep understanding of traditional yoga philosophies to his work, Marty has the ability to make the most complicated concepts accessible to his students.
Marty challenges those he works with to step out of their comfort zone and apply their growing knowledge of yoga to the exploration of everything from asana to life, helping students connect with their inner potential.